The Tarot of the Sevenfold Mystery is a stunning deck from tarot artist and author, Robert Place. Inspired by pre-Raphaelite art and redrawn in his very recognisable style, it combines powerful art with his extensive knowledge of alchemy. Previously available in an over-sized majors edition, this is a regular-sized, full 78-card deck.

Card Images from the Tarot of the Sevenfold Mystery

Tarot-of-the-Sevenfold-Mystery1 Tarot-of-the-Sevenfold-Mystery2 Tarot-of-the-Sevenfold-Mystery3 Tarot-of-the-Sevenfold-Mystery4 Tarot-of-the-Sevenfold-Mystery5 Tarot-of-the-Sevenfold-Mystery6 Tarot-of-the-Sevenfold-Mystery7 Tarot-of-the-Sevenfold-Mystery8

Review by Stephanie Gill

This deck has some of the most powerful imagery I have yet seen in a deck, which says something if you consider I have been reading Tarot for decades.  The art is inspired by the Pre-Raphaelites, in particular the art of Edward Burne-Jones. But it has been redrawn in Place's unique and glorious style, which is accessible to a beginner yet no less deep for the adept.       

It has definite advantages over some of Place's previous decks; the card stock is better than his Vampire Tarot.  Perhaps this is because Place had more control over the printing.  This deck was put out by his own company, Hermes Publications. The card stock for this deck is a nice, thick      laminate which is easy to shuffle or cut.  They are a comfortable size for your hands, too.  My only complaint on that score is that the cards are rather slick and inclined to slip out of  your hands.     

The LWB (Little White book) is very useful.  I appreciate the detail contained within it.  Place does say that he will put out a more detailed book at some later point, presumably this will be a trade paperback.       

Place again links this deck to alchemical imagery; which is a special interest of mine. But you don't have to know alchemy to appreciate the symbology, or to interpret the images. Though I was a little disappointed to see a couple of the cards repeat imagery from his Alchemical Tarot. For example the Two of Pentacles with the intertwined serpents and the Four of Cups with the Elephant standing on the Vessels, but they are new drawing of these cards and this is a minor quibble.

This deck also has ties to Platonic philosophy, should  you want to explore that aspect.  There are helpful key writings on some of the cards which tie into that; such as The Lovers, The Chariot, Justice, and some of the other Major Arcana cards.  But I do want to emphasize that if you are familiar with the Waite/Coleman-Smith deck, you should be able to navigate this deck fairly quickly.     

Some of the re-workings of the deck are simply brilliant; such as the Wheel of Fortune as a      Goddess surrounded by the signs of the Zodiac and Prudence within the World.  Also this deck restores Justice to eight and Strength to eleven.  It is a standard 78 card deck.  Oh; and notice the greyhounds scattered through the deck, Place is involved with greyhound rescue. They are a nice touch, and not at all intrusive within the imagery of the cards.       

All in all, this is a lovely deck which is well worth having. I find it truly inspiring.  I treasure my copy already.

With thanks to Stephanie Gill and Aeclectic Tarot.

Views: 408

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Important (read & understand)

How to Contact us:Preferred Contact point

Email and Instant Messenger:

TravelerinBDFSM @ aol/aim;  hotmail; identi.ca; live & yahoo

OR

Travelingraggyman @ gmail and icq ***

Find us on Google+

Please vote for Our Site. You can vote once a day. Thank you for your support. just click on the badge below
Photobucket

OUR MOST RECENT  AWARD

1AWARD UPDATES & INFORMATION
10,000 votes - Platinum Award
5,000 votes - Gold Award
2,500 votes - Silver Award
1,000 votes - Bronze Award
300 votes - Pewter Award
100 votes - Copper Award

Member of the Associated  Posting System {APS}

This allows members on various sites to share information between sites and by providing a by line with the original source it credits the author with the creation.

Legal Disclaimer

***************We here at Traveling within the World are not responsible for anything posted by individual members. While the actions of one member do not reflect the intentions of the entire social network or the Network Creator, we do ask that you use good judgment when posting. If something is considered to be inappropriate it will be removed

This site is strictly an artist operational fan publication, no copyright infringement intended

Patchwork Merchant Mercenaries had its humble beginnings as an idea of a few artisans and craftsmen who enjoy performing with live steel fighting. As well as a patchwork quilt tent canvas. Most had prior military experience hence the name.

Patchwork Merchant Mercenaries.

Vendertainers that brought many things to a show and are know for helping out where ever they can.

As well as being a place where the older hand made items could be found made by them and enjoyed by all.

We expanded over the years to become well known at what we do. Now we represent over 100 artisans and craftsman that are well known in their venues and some just starting out. Some of their works have been premiered in TV, stage and movies on a regular basis.

Specializing in Medieval, Goth , Stage Film, BDFSM and Practitioner.

Patchwork Merchant Mercenaries a Dept of, Ask For IT was started by artists and former military veterans, and sword fighters, representing over 100 artisans, one who made his living traveling from fair to festival vending medieval wares. The majority of his customers are re-enactors, SCAdians and the like, looking to build their kit with period clothing, feast gear, adornments, etc.

Likewise, it is typical for these history-lovers to peruse the tent (aka mobile store front) and, upon finding something that pleases the eye, ask "Is this period?"

A deceitful query!! This is not a yes or no question. One must have a damn good understanding of European history (at least) from the fall of Rome to the mid-1600's to properly answer. Taking into account, also, the culture in which the querent is dressed is vitally important. You see, though it may be well within medieval period, it would be strange to see a Viking wearing a Caftan...or is it?

After a festival's time of answering weighty questions such as these, I'd sleep like a log! Only a mad man could possibly remember the place and time for each piece of kitchen ware, weaponry, cloth, and chain within a span of 1,000 years!! Surely there must be an easier way, a place where he could post all this knowledge...

Traveling Within The World is meant to be such a place. A place for all of these artists to keep in touch and directly interact with their fellow geeks and re-enactment hobbyists, their clientele.

© 2024   Created by Rev. Allen M. Drago ~ Traveler.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service